Here we are again, trying to find fun, tasty and moderately healthy on-the-go dinners. I tried this one and thought it was delicious, easy and fun! Use your favorite sloppy joe recipe or snag mine that is loaded with sneaky veggies no one will noticed.
Before you get into this one, let me line out a few tools that you will want to have ready:
- One large pan
- Two Muffin Tins (12 ct)
- Cutting board and knife
- Large Mixing Bowl
1 small yellow onion
1 tsp minced garlic
2 medium carrots
8oz baby bella mushrooms
1lb Ground Meat (Venison, Beef or Turkey)
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup Ketchup
6 oz Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
1/4 cup Bar-B-Que Sauce
1 Can Pillsbury Southern Homestyle Biscuits
2 cups Shredded Cheddar
Let's Get Cookin!
1) Prep Veggies: Finely dice all your vegetable.
2) Cook Veggies: add a few turns around the pan of your oil and let it heat up to medium. Add in your vegetables (onion, garlic, carrots and mushrooms) and let them sauté for about 8-10 minutes, so they get nice and soft.
3) Move the veggies toward the perimeter of the pan and add your ground meat into the middle. Crumble and cook until no longer pink. Then, gently incorporate the vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
4) Add all of your sauce ingredients right into the pan and stir until well mixed with all of your ingredients. Stir and simmer until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and put into a bowl.
5) Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees and spray your muffin tins with some non-stick cooking spray. You will not fill up both pans so you only need to spray for 16.
6) Open up the can of biscuits and cut each biscuit in half, then flatten and spread on the counter or cutting board. Firmly press the biscuit dough into the bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup.
7) Spoon sloppy joe mixture into cups, filling about 2/3 of the way (be sure to press it in because it will 'shrink' when you cook it and you want these full).
8) Sprinkle the top of each muffin with cheddar cheese.
9) Bake for 13-16 minutes until the biscuits are golden and the cheese is melted. Remove from oven, let cool, then pop them out of their tins and take them wherever dinner takes you!
Enjoy! And be sure to leave me a note if you love this recipe.