Grilled Honey Lime Sandwiches
Fresh, healthy & flavorful!
These were a hit with everyone in the family tonight, and an extra perk was how great they were to take on-the-go since we had dance class for Loretta Jo tonight. Credit goes to Rachel Ray for the inspiration on this one.
Here is what you will need:
2 limes, juiced
4 Tbsp honey
2 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp cilantro
Pinch of S & P (salt & pepper)
1/4 cup grapeseed oil (a few good glugs)
4 medium size chicken breasts (6-8oz each)
Montreal Steak seasoning
4 Hawaiian sandwich rolls (the longer ones)
Toppings: Roma tomato (sliced), lettuce leaves, salsa verde, avocado or guacamole
Now, get cooking!
1) Combine the first six ingredients in a plastic zip bag (gallon size) and mix well until they are all combined. Place the chicken breasts into the bag. Zip closed, lay flat and distribute marinate so that all chicken is laying flat in it. Place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. I prefer to let it sit for 1-2 hours when I have time, but be sure not to put it in too early because chicken can become less tender if it marinates too long.
2) Heat up a non-stick grill-pan (or outdoor grill) to medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 6-7 minutes on each side (time will vary based on thickness). Sprinkle with Montreal Steak seasoning on one side of the chicken while cooking.
*Tip: for juicier chicken on a grill-pan, I often will put a lid over the top - even if it doesn't fit all the way - when I flip to the second side. This will create additional moisture around the chicken allowing it to stay moist while cooking.
3) While chicken is cooking, prepare any toppings that need to be sliced, or mix up a homemade guacamole spread (my personal favorite!). Heat oven up to Broil.
4) Open Hawaiian sandwich rolls and place in the oven for about 2 minutes on each side. Watch closely so you do not burn them! This step is totally optional, but I love the extra texture of a crustier roll.
5) Prepare sandwiches with the toppings of your choice. My favorite stack: guacamole spread, two tomato slices, chicken on top, and salsa verde spread on the top bun. I like to serve it with tortilla chips and guacamole on the side. Add a bowl of salsa, fresh corn, or cheese dip if you want to indulge a little.
I can't wait to hear what you and your family think of this easy weeknight meal!